Fresh fruits and vegetables are simple and delicious options for healthy, gluten-free snacking and are essential to PrepDish meal plans. However, the journey from seed to plate can turn these nutrition packed fruits and vegetables into germ havens – even with organic produce. That’s why the first step of any prep day in a PrepDish meal plan is to wash all of the fresh produce. From there it’s all ready to be chopped, diced, and sliced in preparation for the week’s meals!
We’re frequently asked “what is the best way to clean produce?” There are many options out there ranging from chemicals to soap and water. However, if your looking for a green and cost-effective way to clean up that produce, our favorite way is to give the produce a bath in white vinegar and water. Research suggests that this simple trick can remove pesticides and kill up to 98% of bacteria.
Next time you get home from your grocery store run, take a few minutes and give your fruits and veggies a vinegar bath to get them ready to go. You’ll be happy during the busy days when the fridge is full of clean produce ready for easy chopping, snacking, and cooking.
How to give your produce a vinegar bath:
1. Arrange all of your produce in your clean kitchen sink. (Yes even the melon. Cutting into this fruit can transfer germs from the outside into the fleshy portion you eat).
2. Fill up the sink with water and white vinegar to cover the produce. You should have about 1 part white vinegar to 3 parts water. No need to make the water scalding hot. Let the produce soak for about two minutes.
3. Drain the sink and rinse off the produce to remove any lingering vinegar.
5. Let the produce dry on a towel or use a clean paper towel to pat dry.
6. Chop up your produce for snacking and cooking or leave whole and ready to grab.
7. Enjoy the ease of pre-cleaned produce!
Prep Dish is a gluten-free meal planning website. Celebrity personal chef & dietitian Allison Stevens thoughtfully crafts each plan using her own well-tested recipes. Each meal plan allows you, the home cook, to spend only 2-3 hours preparing a week’s worth of crave-worthy, gluten-free, healthy meals using seasonal, whole foods (nothing processed!). We aim to save you time while keeping your family’s taste buds happy.
Along with a weekly menu, you’ll get a printable grocery list and recipes for prep day — just one day of preparation yields scrumptious, good-for-you dishes all week long. Click to start saving time today!